Armando Martínez Escultor
Armando Martínez Vazquez, of A Hermida, Pontevedra, was born in 1955. He is a Figurative Surrealist Galician sculptor, and currently has his signature to the largest numbers of public works all around Portugal.
Martínez takes his first visual contact with the work in the stone through his father Rogelio Martínez Martínez, who was master mason.
At twenty-five years old he moved to the city of Reggio Emilia, in Emilia-Romagna province of Northern Italy. . It is in this city that Martinez began his life of art, based on a style of self learning, that allowed him to apply a particular view when transforming wood, into wood carving. Living in this town for two years allowed for Martinez to meet with the sculptor Franco Montanari, as well as writer and sculptor, Sergio Subazzoli, and, on occasion, had the honour to share artistic thoughts together.
Martínez is a personal friend and colleague of the Italian philosopher, Guatteri Vito, founder of the Academia Villa D’este, and Gondola Venice Gold Award. Guatteri is the first prolific to write of Martínez, and describes his work in the journal, Carmina Non Dant Panem. This publication establishes a similarity between the work of the Galician sculptor, with that of Goya, arguing that “L’impressionismo di Goja ha Saputo trasfondere nelle su opere”, which translates as “…( He has managed to transmit in his works, “The Goya Impressionism”).
On his return to Spain after a stay in Scotland, Martinez decided to focus his artistic experience on stonework, with the purpose of transforming the raw stone in order to beautify and adorn the public, and private spaces, from a perspective and a concept of Figurative Surrealism.
A few years later, he established; on Calvario Street, Vigo; his first workshop for sculpting the stone. Martinez took on the challenge of how to preserve the symbology he had acquired through is experiences with woodworking, and then translating them into this new found world of stone.
- First Prize of International Sculpture of “Angelo de lla Vonta”, in Pratto, Firenze , Italy.
- First Prize of Scultpture " Tricolaria”, Villa D’Este Academy, in Reggio Emilia, Italia.
- First International Prize of Art "Suessia Degli Aurunci” in Pratto, Firenze Italia
- First International Prize of Scultpture “Quo Vadis Pax”in Pratto, Firenze. Italia.
- Spanish Encyclopedia of painting and sculpture XX century.
- Galician Encyclopedia of Castelao. Spain
- Collection Art Museum of Vigo Celta. Spain
- The Book Monuments of Vigo City. Spain.
- The Book Villa D´ste Academy. Italy.
- The Book Pampillosa, unha terra, un pobo- Portugal (1996,1999,2003)
- Annual Directory of Monuments of Mealhada.
- Monuments of Coimbra-Portugal: Author Mario Nunes
- Monuments of Coimbra-Portugal: Author Pedro Días.
- International Exhibition of Visual Arts of San Joan da Madeira:2007 and 2009.
- The introduction of the Book “Ines de Castro”. Author: Machado Leonor de Sousa.
- Introduction of the book: “Hundred poetries” of the singer Xosé Cid.
- Collection Caixanova.
- Collection Museum of Orense. Pontevedra.Spain
- Collection Orense Council.
- Book about the Exposition of Orense Museum 2014.
- Museum Vila Franca of Xira. Portugal
- Collection of the Xacobeo about the Works of Armando “Torre do Anto”.
- National Museum of the Naifes, Luzzara, Italia.
- Floríno Academy, Firenze, Italia.
- Villa D’Este Academy, Reggio Emilia, Italia.
- National Museum of the Naif in Guastalla. Italia.
- Museum of de Contemporary Art of the Vila Franca de Xira.
- Municipal Council of Coimbra.
- Delegation of Tourism of Leiria, Portugal.
- Provincial Government of Pontevedra.
- Caja Provincial de Pontevedra.
- Caixanova Vigo.
- Caixa Madrid.
- Pavilion of Galicia Xacobeo, Santiago of Compostela.
- Celta Museum Celta of Vigo.
- Museum of The Rock. Cantanhede. Portugal.
- Artistic Goods of the Republic President´s office in Portugal.
- Artistic Goods of the Galician Xunta.
-84/85 e 86: Three plays are accepted in The National Museum of Naifs from Italy.
Over a year, the accepted work went over several expositions of different cities of Italy.
1986: Pallazo Villa D’Este, Reggio Emilia. Italia.
1987: Museo Nazionale Di Naifs. Luzzara, Italia.
-City Gallery. Edimburgo, Escocia, organised for The Edinburgh Chamber in Scotland.
-“Tour in the Highlands", organised for The Glasgow Chamber. Scotland
- 3RD Eye Centre, organised for The Glasgow Chamber. Scotland.
1989: Colective Exposition of Galician Artists. Laxeiro Galery. Vigo. Spain.
1990: Culture House of The Baiona Council. Spain
Vigo- Móllase Group in Vigo. Spain.
1994: Torre of Anto Galery in Coimbra, Portugal.
Arts House (Conection 11), Vigo. Spain
Santo Domingo (Conection 10), Tui. Spain.
1996 - 2018: GOISARTE in Gois- Portugal and Oroso-Spain
1999: Pro Art in Madrid. Spain
Culture Galician House in Soutomaior Castle. Vigo. Pontevedra. Spain.
Culture House of Cangas. Pontevedra. Spain
2000: Foundation of The Aveiro University. Portugal.
2001: Sintra Museum. Portugal
2010: Hall of Exhibitions of The Medical College of O Porto. Portugal.
2012, 2013, 2014: Art Galery Bij Krepel Klarenbeek, Holland.
2012: Visol Galery in Orense. Spain.
2013: 10º International Salon of Nantes -Façade Atlantique, Chantenay, Francia.
1º European Salon of Plastic Arts in Cantahede, Portugal.
2015: Wood Museum in Holanda
2018: PO.RO.S. Museum in Condeixa-Portugal
1986: Academy of The Fiorino, Pratto Firenze Toano. Italia (Emilia-Romagna)
Chamber Palazzo Villa Déste. Italy (Reggio Emilia)
Galery Girasolum, Coimbra - Portugal
Caja de Ahorros of Vigo, Pontevedra . Galicia. Spain
- 1989: House of D. Hugo. Cámara Municipal de Porto. Portugal.
Refeitorio de Santa Cruz, Coimbra - Portugal
House of The Culture in The Municipal Chamber of Vilaverde. Portugal.
- 1990: Laxeiro Galery, Vigo. Pontevedra. Galicia. Spain
Capitel Galery, Leiria. Portugal.
Municipal Chamber of Baião - Portugal
Galery CaixaVigo. Pontevedra. Galicia. Spain
Culture House of Cangas in Pontevedra. Galicia. Spain
Soutomaior Castle in Vigo. Pontevedra. Spain.
- 1991: Varia Art in Coimbra. Portugal.
- 1992: Caja Madrid in Aranjuez. Madrid. Spain
- 1993: Castle of Soutomaior. Pontevedra. Spain
Culture House of Cangas in Pontevedra. Galicia. Spain
- 1994: Culture House of Bueu in Pontevedra. Spain
Culture House, Chamber of Coimbra. Portugal.
Galeria Caíxavígo in, Vigo. Pontevedra. Galiza .
- 1996-98: House of Culture, Chamber of Coimbra. Portugal
Galery of The Municipal Council of Vila Franca de Xira.
Cervantes Institute in Lisboa. Portugal.
Community Social Center of Miranda do Corvo. Portugal
Museum of Torres Novas. Portugal.
Galery Caíxavígo, Vigo. Pontevedra. Galicia. Spain
Castle of Soutomaior. Pontevedra
House of Cultura in Corcubíón. Pontevedra. Spain.
Borron Galery. Cambados
Trisquel e Medulia. Tui
- 1999: Geraldes Galery da Silva, Porto. Portugal.
Palace Galery, Viseu. Portugal
Alambique Galery. Portugal.
Alfama Galery. Madrid.
- 2000: Palace of Santa Helena, Lisboa. Portugal.
Galery Augusto Pereira, Montemor o Velho. Portugal.
Galery Concelho de Sao Joao da Madeira, Porto. Portugal
Culture House of Guastalla. Italia (Rello Emilia)
- 2002: Galery of The Municipal Chamber of Lousã. Portugal.
Municipal Museum of Orense. Galicia. Spain
House of Torre do Anto, Redondela. Pontevedra. Galiza
Financial Center of Vigo City. Pontevedra. Galicia. Spain
Culture House of Coimbra. Portugal
Cultural Center of the Provincial Government of Ourense Galicia.
Autumn Meeting Room in Québec. Canada .
- 2004: Culture House of Coimbra. Portugal.
Republic Museum. Lisboa. Portugal.
Assembly Hall of Art of The Financial Club of Vigo, Spain
- 2005: Galicia House in Madrid. Spain
Municipal Museum Ourense. Spain
- 2007: Club Financiero de Vigo. España
- 2008: CaixaNova Vigo. Spain
Castle of Mos Port-.Portugal.
- 2009: Hall of Exhibitions of Ingafor in Vigo. Spain
- 2010: Galery Jose Lorenzo in Santiago of Compostela. Spain- 2011: Exhibitions in The Framed Gallery- Ink Galery, Edinburgo, Escocia. R.U.
Hall of Art Exhibitions of Casal de Ferreirós in Poio, Pontevedra. Spain.
Hall of Art Exhibitions of Xunta of Galicia, Pontevedra. Spain
Hall of Art Financial Club of Vigo. Spain
Art Galery of Bij Krepel Klarembeek in Holland.
- 2012: Hall of Exhibitions of The Military Government in Aveiro, Portugal.
Hall of Exhibitions of The Municipal Theatre of Mealhada. Messias Building. Portugal.
Hall of Exhibitions of The Culture House in Coimbra. Portugal.
Exhibition in The Hostel of the Catholic Kings in Santiago de Compostela. Spain.
- 2013: Hall of Exhibitions House of the Shield in Verín, Ourense. Spain
- 2014: Municipal Museum of Ourense. Spain.
- 2015: Municipal Museum of Pampilhosa da Serra. Portugal.
Municipal Museum of Mortágua. Portugal.
Xerion Galery. Coruña. Spain.
-2016: Galicia House in Madrid. Spain
2017, 2019: Financial Club of Vigo. Spain.